My journey into the world of marathons and ultra marathons.

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Newport Marathon

The Newport Marathon was a comedy of errors. The trip down the Oregon Coast was good enough… excellent in fact. The weather was beautiful, we stopped in Tillamook to eat grilled cheese sandwiches and ice cream at the Tillamook Cheese Factory , and we made it to Newport in time to play on the beach before dinner. After a dinner of pizza, we all went to bed with the alarm set for 5:00. I told the family to sleep in and have fun at the beach. I’d call when I reached the finish line and we would meet up.

I woke up before the alarm, ate a light breakfast and slipped out the door while everyone slept. I drove to the finish line, boarded the bus for the start and commenced chatting with a few new maniacs. Once we arrived at the start line, I saw all of my favorite running friends and immediately fell into a big group conversation. Before I knew it, the race director was announcing “5 minutes until the start!”. I quickly made my way over to the sag wagon and checked my drop bag. Within a minute or two panic set in: I had forgotten to take my gels and electrolyte tablets out of my drop bag. I had no gel. On any other marathon that may not have been a problem, but the race directions clearly indicated gels only at mile 15, and only one per runner. That simply wasn’t enough to get through 26.2 miles, I usually need two and sometimes 4. That wasn’t my biggest worry, though. I didn’t have my electrolytes! After being cursed by leg cramps since the last Octobers Northface Challenge 50k, I finally had figured out THE formula. One tablet every 5 miles, then 2 at mile 20 if I needed it. Water and gel as necessary. I started to fret about what to do, then the gun went off and I was swept away on my journey to another marathon finish.

It just so happens that the course passed our hotel at mile 2. I thought briefly about stopping to get some gel out of the room, but didn’t. We passed the hotel again at mile 4. this time Mom was standing on the sidelines watching us pass and I decided a quick stop at the hotel may save me from walking the last 6 miles of the race. I grabbed the key from her, bolted to the elevator and down the hall to our room. Alec and Evan were in the hallway and took great pleasure in helping me search for gels. Of course there were none to be found, I had packed them all in my drop bag. Back down the hall I went and plunged down the stairwell, barefoot kids in jammies in hot pursuit. I reached the lobby door, gave them both a kiss and continued on my journey down Yaquina Bay. My watch indicated I had lost almost 6 minutes, (there goes my PR attempt). I was also in the back of the pack so I sped up a little, hoping to catch one of my slower Maniac friends. By mile 6 I caught Leslie Miller. Leslie is great fun and was my running angel on day two of my double last summer. I knew I’d need her inspiration again today so I decided to throw out any time goal and spend my hours with Leslie. We chatted about everything: mostly running, but also work, travel, relationships. I think we solved some of life’s major problems while out on the course. Maniac #3 tp!, tossed me a gel at mile 10. Leslie gave me a salt tablet at mile 12. My fears had vanished, I knew my friends would make sure I had what I needed. We reached the gel station at mile 15 and the volunteer gave me 3 gels. We passed the gel station again at mile 17 (the way back on this out-and-back course) and I was handed 2 more. I was the gel queen! I had ‘em stashed everywhere! We continued to lope along, ticking off the uneventful but beautiful miles. Soon we were crossing the finish line, getting our medals and looking for food. I called Mom and was told they were just settling down for lunch so I spent some time relishing the post-race glow with the main Maniacs. My time for marathon #26? 4:29 and it really isn’t important.

Oh, one little detail: Somewhere along the course I promised Leslie I would run the Green River/North Olympic Discovery Marathons with her next weekend. It’s time to rest up, eat lots of quality food and tackle marathons 27 and 28 in a few days.

No comments: