My journey into the world of marathons and ultra marathons.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Tacoma City Marathon

I just finished running the Tacoma Marathon. The course was nice and hilly, and the weather was perfect (mid 40’s, clouds, a little drizzle). I took the early start since I was planning on using it as a training run. I had a couple of goals: Tweak with my electrolytes and try to get it right this time, practice a 5-1 run/walk ratio in preparation for a 12-hour race later this year, and feel recovered within 24 hours. I am happy to report I met 2 out my 3 goals. The 5-1 walk/run fell apart right away. The early start had about 40 runners so we were accompanied by a pace bike. It just so happens I was in the lead along with another woman. As we chatted the first few miles, I forgot to walk. Then I looked back and the two of us were alone with the pace bike. We couldn't walk because the pace bike was showing us the way, and he wasn't slowing down (we didn't want to get lost). We made a decision to keep our pace until the lead runners from the regular start passed us. We figured that would be about the half-way point. It didn't happen so we kept running. By that time it was conceivable to the spectators that we were actually leading the whole race, so everyone started cheering for us as we passed. It wasn't until mile 17 that the lead man overtook us. Relieved, we started to walk... but the spectators wouldn't let it be. Now it really appeared that we were the first women, and the leading women don't walk! At mile 21, the first woman passed us, quickly followed by another one. I finally allowed myself that walk break and walked the next 3 miles. I picked up my run again at mile 24 and cruised the last 2.2 miles .... my fans told me I was 5th woman (I didn't have the heart to tell them otherwise). My final time was 4:22:39 and some change. The last two miles were my fastest at a little under 8 minute miles. My legs didn't cramp (I took electrolytes every 45 minutes) and I felt good enough to walk a few miles in the afternoon. Even though the course as hilly, I didn’t have any leg cramping following the race or leg soreness the next day. This Sunday I have the Capital City Marathon: another long training run, then Newport at the end of the month. I may actually taper and race Newport if everything goes well.

No comments: