My journey into the world of marathons and ultra marathons.

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Pigtails Flat Ass Marathon

I thought I was done racing for 2009 after completing my 3 states in 8 days streak. I am weak though, and there just happened to be a cheap, local marathon that over 100 of my favorite people had entered. I had nothing better to do, so I decided to join in on the fun.

The race director (the one and only Pigtails) emailed us a few days before the race requesting that we try and carpool due to lack of parking. Fortunately Andy Fritz, a local Maniac, agreed to drive so we met at 5:30 am and headed towards the mountains. I dressed in tights and a long sleeve Maniac shirt, carried a pack with gloves and a jacket. The weather forecast called for light rain turning to dry and overcast, mid 40’s. Just perfect. As predicted, we started off in a light drizzle. The first 6 miles consisted of nicely packed dirt and gravel following the Cedar River downstream. The running seemed easy, but I intentional kept my pace slow. Karen Wiggins joined me and we spent a few miles catching up on our lives while our pace increased. One of us would notice and we would back off. 5 miles into the race, I decided I was pushing the pace too much for a recovery run (mid-9 minute miles) so I let Karen go on without me. I dialed back to 10½ minutes per mile and was all ready to just settle in and listen to music when young David Appleton caught me. I met David in Death Valley and then again in Las Vegas, so I welcomed the chance of running together. We ran fairly steadily to the half way point, taking short walk breaks every mile. We turned around and mile 14 and immediately noticed that we had been running slightly downhill the entire first half. That meant a long and gradual climb all the way back to the finish line. The drizzle had turned to a steady rain. I was getting chilled and my legs were fatigued. David was feeling the same so we increased our walk breaks to every ½ mile. To our surprise, we were actually passing people! We were slow, but others were slower….the gradual uphill and deteriorating weather was wearing people down. With 5 miles to go, Brian Pendleton caught up to us and helped make the final hour pass a little more quickly with new topics to discuss. We crossed the finish line in just under 5 hours, though my legs felt like I had run much faster. By comparison, the winning Women’s time was 4:04, so it was definitely a slow slog for everyone. After we collected our handmade finishers medals (pink bells decorated like pigs) I changed into warm, dry clothing and then made my way back to the finish line. We all huddled under the tent as we slurped down butternut squash soup and cheered in the rest of the runners.

I realized on my drive home how very tired I was. 7 marathons in 3 months had taken its toll and I badly needed a break. I think I’ll take some time off now. I’m scheduled to run the First Call to Run Marathon on January 1st. but I think I’m going to skip it and resume my racing sometime in February.

No comments: