My journey into the world of marathons and ultra marathons.

Monday, June 8, 2009

The Green River/NODM Double Marathon Weekend

Living in Western Washington certainly has its perks. For distance runners, it’s the opportunity to run 2 marathons on beautiful courses in the same weekend. Both marathons run along wooded bike paths and finish with 4 miles along the Puget Sound. This is the 3rd time I’ve run this double: the first year day one was a 50k though, not a road marathon. It was my 5th double in 2 years. I love running double marathons.

Sat – Green River Marathon. 26.2 miles on a bike path along the Green River. 1st half is flat and easy , 2nd half hits urban roads. This is a free , but certified course marathon so streets are not closed. We have to wait for lights to cross major intersections. Also a few hills so it’s definitely the slower the 2nd half. I continue to run easy until mile 21, then I pick it up for a mile to get the legs moving. At mile 22 we hit the beach and a headwind but I keep focused and run hard the last 3 miles. ½ spilt is 2:14, mile 21- 9:10, mile 24 -9:10, mile 25 – 8:55, mile 26-9:31. Second ½ split 2:11. Overall time: 4:25. The best part: it was easy! I felt great at the finish. No soreness or fatigue. One hour later I felt like I hadn’t run at all. Huge success in my opinion.

After the race I head out to the ball park to watch a USSSA softball tournament that Mr. Hawk is playing in. I eat a couple of tacos and enjoy a beer. Before long it’s 9:30 pm and we still have a 3 hour drive to Port Angeles. So much for plenty of sleep. We arrive in Port Angeles and remember that we haven’t eaten since lunch. You simply can’t run a double without eating well, so luckily we find a pizza place that’s still open. Hit the sack at 2:00 a.m., up again at 6:00 a.m. I’m not hungry and have a headache, so I force down some dry toast and black coffee. Mr. Hawk takes me to the start line then heads back to bed.

Sun- North Olympic Discovery Marathon. 3rd time running this marathon and always as 2nd marathon of a double weekend, my course PR was 4:47. 1st half is fairly flat and boring through town street and farmland. 2nd half is a tougher run through the forest and has lots of hills: short, steep hills. Last 4 miles are again run along a beach. A feel a little sluggish the first 5 miles but just take it easy. By mile 8 I am warmed up. I continue to feel stronger and stronger throughout the race. I keep waiting for the course to get hard…. I remember how tough this race is from past years. It never gets hard. I run mile 21 fast to wake up the legs and hit the beach feeling like a run-away freight train. Powerful and unstoppable. I pass people like they are standing still the final 4 miles. What fun! 1st half split: 2:12. Mile 21- 8:31, mile 24 – 9:56, mile 25 – 9:49, mile 26 – 8:54. 2nd half split: 2:12. Overall time: 4:24. Good enough for 4th place in my AG, on the second day of a double! 22 minute course PR! Double marathon PR by 23 minutes! Went home and mowed the lawn. It really doesn’t get any better than this. Or does it?

No comments: