My journey into the world of marathons and ultra marathons.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Capital City Marathon

I went into the Capital City Marathon with the intention of claiming my 2010 Boston Qualifier. I was 4 minutes off in Boston, so I thought I’d take another shot at it in my home town. I should have stopped a moment and thought about the Capital City course before setting my goal.

My plan was to run like I had in Boston…. Start fast, hold on until mile 13, then let it gradually fade. I knew I could do it. As the race neared, reality started to sink in. Olympia had been experiencing a chilly spring, but as race weekend approached, the weather warmed significantly. Not good, especially since I’d been training in cool weather. I started to think I would be happy with matching my Boston time and saving the BQ for another day. Even with a slight change in goals, I wanted to go out fast and push myself instead of just completing a long training run like I did in Tacoma.

Everything started well. I got off to a nice start running 8:45’s for the first 4 miles. Then the fun was over and the climbing began. Capital City climbs and drops constantly. Steep, short climbs, long, shallow climbs, and on three occasions: steep, long climbs. By mile 7 I adjusted my goal again: I wanted to beat my previous best Capital City time: 4:13:58. I pushed hard, backing off when I needed to recover after a climb. I tried to stay focused on the beautiful, rural course and let mind wander down memory lane as I dashed across old childhood haunts. Gull Harbor Store, Cannery Ranch, Zangle Road and Woodard Bay were all so important when I was a kid, hanging out with my friends and our dogs. Later on when ran through the eastside of Olympia… down Friendly Grove Road, Miller Street and Bethel. Past my old elementary school and along my brothers paper route. Mile 20 went by the old Washington Middle School where we attended classes in school buses as we were waiting for the new Capital High School to open. Finally we hit the last long hill leading into Wildwood before dumping out on Capital Way and a 1.5 mile down hill sprint to the finish. I worked hard that last mile trying to accomplish my goal and thought I made it as I crossed the finish line (only to find out later that I ran a 4:13:59, 1 second slower than my course PR).

I was disappointed to find out that there were no medals at this years race, only results cards with a slot for our timing chips that we got to keep. After framing the results card, though, I decided that it was a nice touch and like it better than a medal.

No comments: