My journey into the world of marathons and ultra marathons.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

West Seattle Fat Ass 50k

The morning started out dark and cool, but not nearly as cold as previous mornings. I arrived at the shelter along Alki beach a few minutes before 7. A few runners had already gathered by the fire and I was surprised that half a dozen or so congratulated me on my Across the Years race. I didn’t think anyone would have noticed… after all we are a bunch of Maniacs and running long distances is what we do. We were issued small numbers to pin to our clothing, given a few quick instructions (including “track your own time in case we get it wrong” and sent off into the dark.

I ran the first 8 miles of the double out and back with Jill Hudson and Linda Walters. We were running at a good clip and I became a little concerned that the pace would wear me down too early in the 31 mile race. At the turn around, Linda developed hip problems and dropped back. Jill and I pressed on around a 9:30 minutes per mile pace, but kept forcing ourselves to try and slow down. We decided that running together may not be in our best interest since we kept pushing the pace and both of us wanted long, slow training runs… not PR attempts. We made an agreement that we would make it back to the start line together, then go out on our own for the second leg.

I hung around the start area for a few minutes: chatting, eating a little and letting Jill get enough ahead of me that I wouldn’t be tempted to run with her. By the time I set out, the sun was warming up the course nicely but a breeze off the water kept a chill in the air. 20 miles into the run I noticed that I hadn’t eaten much, nor was I hungry. My pace was still good, but not blazing so I decided a PR might just be in the cards for the day. I pushed through any desire for long walk breaks, instead just slowing my running pace for a quarter mile or so. I focused on the scenery, the architecture and the Sunday morning athletes with their dogs, roller blades or baby strollers. The last 8 miles became more difficult as the headwind started to increase. I made it back to the start line and a welcoming fire in 5:34. A new PR by about 6 minutes.

I loved this race and hope it becomes a Maniac tradition in the years to come.

No comments: