My journey into the world of marathons and ultra marathons.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Vancouver International Marathon 2007

I’ve been in a bit of a slump since Boston. My times have been steadily
increasing since the beginning of the year compared to last year when I
was PRing every race. After Boston, I sat down for a long talk with myself. I realized I could only PR on base-building type mileage for so long, then I would need to train specifically for a target race and quit running maniac-style. I came to the conclusion I could either run a few fast marathons a year or many slow marathons. I was at a "fork in the road" with my running career and goals... quality or quantity? To make my decision I asked myself "Who do I admire most? Someone who spends 6 months to a year training for one fast marathon, or a mid-packer who cranks out 50+ a year?” Do I want people to say "Hey that's Dove, she's running her 101st marathon today!" or "Hey that's Dove, she ran a 3:30 once". I decided I value frequency over speed. Brooks also decided to sponsor me based on my presence at many marathons, not my chance of winning one. That tells me that much of world admires ordinary people leading extraordinary lives, not just elites that seem out of reach.

All that said, I approached Vancouver with the primary goal of trying to discover how to run a marathon for the quickest recovery, not the fastest clock time. I forced myself back into walk breaks (10-1's), even though conditions were perfect for me (49 degrees, steady rain) and marathon morning I felt like my legs had a PR in them. That first walk break was the hardest thing to do but I stuck with my plan and continued to do so the entire race. Did I set a PR? Not even close.... 4:21, 7 minutes slower than last year, despite the fact I am in much better condition. Am I happy with my race? Absolutely! I crested Burrard Bridge at mile 23 smiling and shouting to the spectators "I love marathoning, it's the greatest sport in the world!" The other runners sure shot me some dirty looks after hearing that!

Who knows, next year or 10 years from now the need to be speedy may win out, but for now I'll take the opportunity to run as many as possible. Next up: Capital City on May 20th. It’s a tough, hilly course and I’m sure I’ll be even slower than Vancouver… but it will be my 6th (and probably best) marathon this year.

No comments: