My journey into the world of marathons and ultra marathons.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Evergreen 5k 2006


Even though I've been running for years, some how I never managed to enter a 5k. I ran several 10k's when I was in my 20's but only as cross training for cycling. I have no idea what my times were back then because I didn't realize they even timed "fun runs" and never paid attention to the clock. Anyway, my 9 year old son talked me into running the Evergreen 5K. He thinks his mom is fast and was sure I could win. I tried to explain to him that I have lots of endurance, but I'm NOT fast enough to even place in my age group... still he had faith in me and talked me into sending in an entry.
I woke up this morning after an almost sleepless night. I was more nervous about this race than any of my previous half and full marathons. I drove to the course early: I'm running a marathon next Saturday and didn't want to miss my scheduled 10 miler so I ran the course once to check it out and get a few miles in. By mile one of my warm-up lap I was silently cursing... why do I always pick the hilliest courses? Why can't I find something good and flat for a change? My first mile split was 11:00. Like I said, I'm not fast and I was warming up. My legs started to loosen up as I climbed up and down the hills and finally crossed the finish line in 35 minutes. I had just enough time to spare to pin on my race number and find the potties.
I settled into a spot at the startline some where in the middle of the pack. I heard a couple of comments and maybe a snicker or two about my attire. I wore my little black marathon dress, sparkly new adidas, a diamond necklace and matching studs. I left my watch behind so I wouldn't be depressed with my splits.
The race started, and as usual everyone was passing me. My freshly warmed-up legs didn't like that very much so they kicked in a little. I reached the one mile mark earlier than expected, then by mile two I was passing lots of heavy breathers. Approaching mile 3 I finally settled into a comfortable rythm and then........... it was over. Just like that. Finished. I grabbed a bottle of water and decided to run the course one more time to get my 10 miles in while I waited for the results to be posted. As I loped along the last loop, some spectators were still on the course and shouting encouragement to me, thinking I was still running the race. I realized I was still wearing my number as I started to pass people that were still completing the race so I quickly tore it off. I didn't want to be timed twice!
I finished my third lap just in time to watch the awards. I couldn't believe it, I won my age group! AND I won the Masters Woman! My son was so proud! My new (and only) PR for the 5k is 24:46! Now I need to rest up for that marathon on Saturday.

No comments: